Friday, July 27, 2007

Motivational Speaker

My boyfriend could be a motivational speaker. He could travel the states – from classroom to business meeting, from high school student to high exec. His Iowa authenticity and natural power to persuade would fill his messages with “ah-ha” moments, changing the outlook of listeners everywhere.

Last night, however, I was his subject. Not in a classroom, not in a crowd, just in a conversation.

In the middle of my pity party, David’s simple wisdom showed up unannounced, abruptly ending the ritual of wallowing.

“Stress is a choice,” he said.

Boom! There it was - placed powerfully on the conversational table – a short sentence saturated with sensibility.

I’ve never heard it put that way before. I’ve heard the “glass is half full” and “attitude is everything” life gems. This concept was no different. But slap some new words on a much-too-familiar saying, and suddenly it regains its power.

Stress is a choice.

Think about that for a minute. Really think about it.

And tell me you wouldn’t want to attend his seminar!

No comments: