As I scurried toward the front door this morning, I noted the time, 7:15… 3 minutes behind my scheduled departure. Grabbing my things, I vowed to make up for the loss by adding 5 mph to my normal, more conservative speed. But as I plowed through the screen door, balancing backpack in one hand and breakfast in the other, I was greeted by an unexpected chill in the air. “Brrr!” My bare arms and sandaled feet required a prompt about-face. Today was not going to be jacket-free.I quickly reentered the house, deposited my stuff briefly in the window seat, and opened my closet door. I stripped one of many white, plastic hangers of its contents, pulling out my favorite denim jacket for the first time this year.
So much for being on time!
Six hours later, when leaving for my lunch break, I was once again startled by the same crisp air mixed with cool, drizzling rain. Pulling my jacket tighter to my body, I realized that the truth about this day was now unavoidable. The truth, like it or not, is that summer has passed, and fall is now arriving. The days are no longer warm; now they’re turning chilly.
So why fight it? Do what I did. Slip into the kitchen, dig to the back of your pantry, and pull out last year’s leftovers. Surely you have a packet or two remaining. Tear off the top strip, pour out the powdered contents, and add hot water… for today is the First Day of Swiss Miss.
I’ll even allow the little stir straws if you ask nicely.

2 comments:
Kristi,
Come on Kristi, fight it off! Swiss Miss--get real! Real hot chocolate that is!
I thought of your Swiss Miss day this morning when it was cool and rainy. I thought, "That's it! Its a Swiss Miss day!" I went to the cupboard here at work . . . no Swiss Miss. Hot cider was okay, but not nearly as effective. I started a new grocery list.
Post a Comment