Monday, February 25, 2008

Piercing Pump

I went to an unfamiliar gas station today. Normally, I don’t do this. Normally, I stick to the station closest to my house or the station closest to my work. But since I’m staying with David and his parents right now, a fill-up at a new station became unavoidable.
I pulled in next to the pump with credit card in hand. Stepping out of the car, I pushed the “Pay Outside” button and a simultaneous loud beep fell upon my ears. Some gas station pumps beep at a normal level of audibility. Others rather quietly. But this one was piercing. High-pitched and disturbing. Every button I pushed brought another shrill sound from the dreaded machine. Car Wash? No. Receipt? Yes. Fuel type? The cheapest. With every choice came another beep. Can’t they turn the volume down on those things? Especially early in the morning when I’m still half asleep.

No wonder I stick to the “tried and true.” It’s quieter there.

No comments: