Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thinking "Green" and Going White

This morning I could’ve been mistaken for Oscar the Grouch. I’m sure no one on the freeway saw mangled, green fur or an oversized unibrow through my car window, but I did drive to work with a snarl on my face and garbage in my heart. It wasn’t because anyone had done anything to me - I’d barely been awake for an hour or more - but I was lingering on previous junk, things that happened yesterday or even days before. Instead of counting my blessings I found myself listing off complaints, irritations, and annoyances. And I’m sure God could see the “green.”

Mid-grumble, I realized what this attitude was doing to my day. I was perturbed, and I hadn’t even talked to anyone yet. I was downright grumpy, and it wasn’t even 9:00 AM. The past hour had been spent in the dump, and my outlook for the rest of the day didn’t look any better. Something had to be done.

The old hymn “Count Your Blessings” started bouncing around in my head, and to be honest, the tune of it added to my annoyance. But the truth of it silenced the Oscar in me. The green in my heart slumped to the floor, ashamed that its foolish thoughts and futile attempts at abundant life had yet again led to self-seeking discontent.

And, in that moment, grace offered its wealth to me once again - like a hand outstretched, like a new world opening, turning my vision to color from black and white. Jesus awaited my response. I could stay in my trash yard or enter His palace. I could pick apart the actions of others or simply trust Him to accomplish His work. The choice was mine. Wallow in my greenness or revel in His goodness. He’d let me decide. He always has.

Counting our blessings doesn’t always mean making a bulleted list… though it couldn’t hurt. But for me today, it meant dwelling somewhere different, turning my thoughts from me to Him. It meant exchanging this green monster suit for the glorious white robes He’s made for me.

Psalm 40:5
Many, O Lord my God,
are the wonders You have done
The things you planned for us
No one can recount to You;
were I to speak and tell of them
they would be too many to declare.

Colossians 3:2-4
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I now have this mind picture of you driving along I-80 with green fur and a unibrow, singing "I love trash..." and daring the drivers near you to cross you. But, as usual, you are reminding me of my own infatuation with trash. What's up with that?!! Why do I want to live in the dump when God invites me to dwell in His presence, urging me to watch as He amazes me again with His goodness? I think your change of focus is a good idea for me too. But I do have to say that "Count Your Blessings" is not a tune I want stuck in my head . . too late! Thanks alot! Mom