Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Get Rich Quick

There’s a Get Rich Quick plan in the Bible. Seriously. I found it today. It doesn’t charge a $350 start-up fee. It doesn’t require special skills or make empty promises. It’s 100% legit, and the CEO guarantees it.

Timothy is given the plan by his supervisor, the apostle Paul, and he is told to share the plan with us. Surprisingly enough, this plan isn’t optional. It’s commanded by the Boss - He wants us to get rich that badly - but His methods aren’t what you think.

Here’s the business plan Timothy was given: “Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant or put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.” (1 Timothy 6:17-19)

Did you catch it? Three short verses containing incredible truth… a Get Rich Quick plan that is sure to satisfy. Paul says, “Be rich in good deeds.” This is the way to wealth, the way to security, the way to life that is truly life. We aren’t called to be wealthy in monetary terms (though the Bible doesn’t rebuke those who are). Financial prosperity is not a bad thing. It just isn’t our hope. It isn’t true riches. 1 Timothy tells us money is uncertain. But God and His plans for us are not. In fact, His riches provide us with “everything for our enjoyment.” We don’t need large bank accounts to have great wealth. God is already pouring out His mercy upon us, giving us everything we need for life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). He showers us with blessings, with mercy that is new every morning, and with the continual example of how to be “rich in good deeds.”

2 Corinthians 8:9
For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.

This is the life that is truly life – the life that gives unto others. For Him, it meant the spilling of blood. He stripped Himself of His riches in order to give them to us. He took on our punishment of death in order to offer us eternal life. Without receiving His gift, without living in the ways He commands, without being “rich in good deeds,” we are lost and left searching. We struggle to make ends meet. We wonder why life is so hard. We want everything to make sense… but it doesn’t with us in the middle; it doesn’t when money is our focus. True wealth is found by giving. It’s found in good deeds. It’s found in being a living sacrifice.

What will you do this week to find wealth?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that many in the world would see me as financially rich in comparison to their poverty. And I see myself as rich...maybe not so much financially, but in other ways. My life is full. I am blessed. But do I seek to be rich in good deeds? Or do I just soak up the goodness I have without a thought of others who have not. Do I just arrogantly assume the wealth I enjoy will remain? Do I realize that in an instant many of the things I count on could be gone? Have I lost sight of true wealth and the One who is my resource to enjoy and share it with others? Thanks for posting.I want to be more intentional in storing up wealth that will last in eternity. When I am struggling and reaching for more for myself, maybe I'll remember to do good and to give generously to others instead. Can't hurt . . might help!!!

jody said...

Thanks, Kristi. Again, you speak to my heart. Many have only Him, and yet have more than me. May I grow to recognize Real Lasting Perfect Wealth.

Jody