Thursday, March 29, 2007

Flip-Flopped Trust

I regularly read articles on Focus on the Family’s college and singles webzine called Boundless. Recently a girl wrote in asking how to become more trusting of others, how to be vulnerable to them, but also guard her heart at the same time. Her specific scenario involved trusting a new boyfriend after previously being hurt by other men, but I think the advice she received could be blanketed to all relationships.

The author, John Thomas, responded:

"I am more convinced than ever that our insecurities have less to do with our past experiences with people and much more to do with our current view of God...

What many of us do, even those of us who are serious Christians, is give to other humans the level of trust that can only be reserved for God, and give God the level of trust that would be about appropriate for humans. We flip-flop our trusts, and when we do that, we are setting ourselves up for a big-time disappointment."


So how do I learn to trust others more? By trusting God. I must give greater portions of my heart to Him, the One who will teach me to disperse it properly – wholly and freely – unto others, the One who will keep me rooted and established in His love, no matter what responses I receive outside of Him. I trust Him first. My trust for others will take root in that foundation.

Have I flip-flopped my trusts? Have I given man greater trust than I have given God? Have I treated God as if He were man? Have I doubted Him because others have failed me? Have I misplaced my trust, formed the wrong foundation, and then complained about the results?

It is time for true trust, complete trust, trust that, by definition, cannot abide with fear. 1 John 4:18 says, “Perfect love casts out fear.” True trust then, can only be maintained through the One person who can offer perfect love, the One person who can cast out fear, the One person who will never disappoint.

I haven’t offered Him complete trust. I’ve given man-size proportions with Kristi-shaped expectations. I think I’ll do a flip.


Quotes from “Misplaced Trust” by John Thomas (Boundless Webzine, March 2007)

2 comments:

Scrambled Dregs said...

Wonder if that principle works with love and grace? Is that why some of us have no joy, or seem to love no one?

Anonymous said...

I again am in awe of your ability to write in such a captivating way. I find your writings to be filled with such truth. It reminds me of the person I have felt God calling me to be for such a long time, but somehow I often lose sight of. It leaves me desiring the relationship with him that deep in my soul, I know I was created for. You are absolutely correct about how we as humans seem to trust God only a little, and give the complete trust meant only for him, to others. This only leads us to become wounded. The people in our lives, we mistakenly give complete faith and trust to, are bound to let us down at some point. Not because they intend to but because we are giving them the place of God in our lives. This thought made me realize that not only do I often place my faith and trust in the wrong things by not placing my complete and total trust in the one who can handle it, I tend to blame God when I have been hurt, wounded, or let down. Ironic isn't it. I blame God for my own mistakes as if he was the one who let me down. If I would trust God more completely, I would be able to trust and love others more. Thank you for helping me see this such simple and yet profound Truth.