Monday, March 26, 2007

Vacation

Vacation - A scheduled period of time during which regular activities are suspended.
Suspended. I love that thought – my daily routine is on hold somewhere, mysteriously lurking, but not presently invading. I had the privilege of being “suspended” this past week. I took vacation – not with any certain plan or elaborate travel destination, just a desire to get away, a need to brake from the high speed of life.

Several days of my suspension were spent at home, and several were spent on a somewhat spontaneous road trip to Branson, Missouri. I expected my vacation (even the days on the road) to remain rather uneventful, but surprisingly, it strayed far from my normal routine, bringing with it a bundle of oddities that I can’t help but chuckle at.

I’ll simply offer a list for your amusement… Here in Iowa, David and I started my oven on fire, shook the hand of a presidential candidate, and had a “drunken man” topple over us in the aisle at the movie theater. We also heard a hearty rendition of a song called “Dang Me!” by David’s dad, which left me chuckling so hard I almost cried. In Missouri, we held keys to 3 different condos, “wrestled” a bull, viewed the world’s largest banjo, and tried our hand at shuffleboard. David also ran with me on his shoulders for nearly a quarter of a mile in an effort to prevent my feet from blistering.

I may add to this list later, but for now my vacation is over and my regular routine is demanding my attention once again.

No comments: