I’m a Word Nerd. I’m sure many so called “writers” are. This diagnosis was confirmed, however, when I received a dictionary and a thesaurus for my birthday, and was thrilled. I think Webster and I would have been good friends. We Word Nerds stick together.Synonyms and homonyms dance around my head, candidating for the position of print. Adjectives, nouns, subjects and predicates all rearrange themselves a thousand times over in search of the perfect combinations. It’s a flood of sentences, a kingdom of vocabulary, a world waiting to be captured. And one of my favorite parts (especially when I’m “stuck”) is rediscovering definitions, flipping to a word and reading a list of 5 things that depict its essence, most of them similar but all possessing an individual flair or even a hidden surprise.
Today, one such definition brightened my day (Thanks, Webster). I was talking with someone over Thanksgiving who jokingly asked how I put up with David. He’s fairly blunt, and I’m super-sensitive. It would seem, even in my own mind, to be a poor mix. But it works. It’s working better and better. But why is that, I thought this morning as I drove to work. ‘We blend’ was my answer. And Webster backed me up. Check this out:
blend
1. mix ingredients - to mix a substance with another substance so that the two do not readily separate
2. create product by mixing different types
3. make pleasing combination - to combine things or qualities to create a pleasing effect…
‘Blend’ by itself is a decent word, but when you delve deeper into its definition, new meaning rises to the surface and gives it more power. When everyone else sees ‘blend’, you see ‘a mixing of different types, two things that do not readily separate, a pleasing combination.’ But then again, maybe you’re not a Word Nerd.
Maybe I’ll start a regular posting of Word Nerd definitions. I discover them often, and you’ll be forced to humor me. Don’t you love that set up!?

1 comment:
Here is the word I have on my mind today: confirm. I read it this morning in Psalm 90. "Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us;And confirm for us the work of our hands; Yes, confirm the work of our hands. I looked up confirm (to establish the truth, accuracy, validity, or genuineness of; to acknowledge with definite assurance) and that's what I'm asking for. That God would show me I'm where He wants me. That He would make it plain that I'm where He wants me in my job and other areas. If I am...then I want to relax (there's a word!) and enjoy my work and His favor. If I'm not then I want Him to move me so I can relax and enjoy His favor somehwere else!
Post a Comment