Friday, November 9, 2007

Kernels for Thought

Pop! Pop! .... Pop! The kernels hit the top of the popper randomly, each bursting at its own decided moment - one here, one there, each one up for a second and then back down.

This is the format for popcorn prayer as well. In small groups, it’s a less intimidating way to pray aloud. One person offers a single sentence or a phrase, and then another person pops in and does the same. Then another, and another. Back and forth, around and around, until silence fills the room again indicating that the popping has ceased.

It’s great for groups, bad for individuals.

But I’ve made it my own personal form of prayer. I pop up here and there to talk to God at random moments during my day. A sentence here, a question there, offering a little of my heart and a little of my time. And granted that’s not a bad thing. However, who wants a diet of only popcorn? It’s good as a snack, as a “tide-me-over,” or a “pick-me-up,” but it doesn’t make a substantial meal.

What if the person you cared about most in your life only gave you their time in 30 second to 1 minute increments? What if they simply popped their head in and said, “Hey, I just want you to know how wonderful you are,” but then promptly left with other duties to attend to… everyday, every time you saw them. Wouldn’t you feel cheated? Unloved? Unsatisfied?

I wonder if God feels this way with my random pop-up prayers. I bet He’s hoping for a feast and is left with only a kernel.

And I guarantee if I would let Him feast upon my heart, I’d come up feeling fuller too. But I choose popcorn instead of the buffet. I choose glimpses instead of gazes, pieces instead of peace.

How sad.

1 comment:

jody said...

I somehow missed this one. It is my favorite. I bet God just loves popcorn--afterall he created it! Just make sure that the pan gets blackened from frequent use and I bet He will continue sending out invitations to the feast. Make a date with Him. I bet he shows up. No matter how far the date is in the future. At least with you He knows He is not forgotten. That is what is really sad.

jody