Thursday, April 24, 2008

Word Nerd: renovate

David closes on his new house today. After signing his name to a hundred various documents this morning, he now has house keys, a mortgage payment, and a long road of renovation ahead.

The home he purchased was previously foreclosed upon and “needs some TLC.” (I love it when realtors use that phrase. It sounds as if you’re adopting a helpless kitten rather than tearing into a grueling project.) So David’s job is now renovation – taking the old and making it new again.

RENOVATE
–verb (used with object)
1. to restore to good condition; make new or as if new again; repair.

2. to reinvigorate; refresh; revive.

Don’t those words sound wonderful? Who wouldn’t love to be “restored, reinvigorated, refreshed, revived”? I’m sensing a spiritual connection. More than that, I’m sensing a strong conviction.

As David embarks on his reconstruction project, I’m taking on one of my own. I’m doing a “character makeover.” In fact, I bought a book yesterday with that title. It’s a 40 day journey, seeking to turn pride into humility, insecurity into confidence, and a stress-prone spirit into one of self-control. It’s a renovation plan for my heart. The old version is jaded, unattractive, and ineffective. It’s like an older house, in need of TLC - the potential is there, but there is work to be done.

David’s house holds that same potential – potential that will remain untapped if he leaves it “as is.” So he’s enlisting help. Unfortunately, his team doesn’t consist of Extreme Home Makeover designers, carpenters, and painters. But he’s got his family and friends. And we’re happily strapping on our tool belts and joining him on the journey.

Perhaps I should enlist help in my heart renovation as well. Simply having people to bounce ideas off of seems to help tremendously.

That’s where you come in…

As I work on my character remodel over the next 8 weeks, I will share with you the “old” and the “new” traits I am studying. Hopefully, as the house on 6th Avenue transforms, my heart will as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to being involved with both renovation projects. I started a renovation book today too. It's called, "Grab a Broom, Lord... There's Dust Everwhere!" The subtitle is, "The Imperfect Woman's Guide to God's Grace." I know it will be hard work to renovate the house on 6th Ave. But I see my heart as a much bigger project. Good thing God's tool box is totally sufficient and He's the best when it comes to TLC!

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I learned something about renovation today too, in Sunday School. It was about renovating relationships and following God's highest calling. That is---learning to be a joyful servant. So if I may join you on this journey of yours, I would be honored. Now I understand that your vision is to be spiritually renovated. That is your dream. I hope I have that right. If not, please let me know. I want to understand. If I do, how may I help you achieve that dream? That question was what I gleaned from class and what I would like to have as my first goal in the important relationships in my life. Looking forward to see the great works of my God.

love ya

jody