Sunday, February 4, 2007

Wal-Mart


Wal-Mart is not my happy place.

I entered the land of roll backs last night in a decent mood. No, “decent” doesn’t quite describe it; I was feeling quite blissful. I was in my element… shopping. Better yet, I was shopping with ideas in mind; that’s the easiest kind. I knew what I wanted, I was finding it easily, and I just had a few more things to pick up.

My first stop had been Target, you know the store… the one where you “See, Spot, and (supposedly) Save.” I had journeyed through the entire store, scanning items, discovering options, and making selections. As I checked out, I found myself engaged in a pleasant conversation with the store clerk. That always gives me a small twinge of excitement - a random connection with a complete stranger.

I headed off for Wally’s prepared to complete my shopping and enjoy the rest of what was shaping up to be a fun evening. It had been awhile since I had spent a good amount of time alone, and I was reveling in it.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I quickly reviewed my shopping list and headed in with determination. But something changed when I got inside. Something went wrong. I’m not sure exactly where it happened, if it was in the home department where the clerk seemed inconvenienced by the fact that I asked for assistance, or if it was when I passed the toy department and heard a kid screaming and a mother ranting, or maybe it was when I approached the checkouts and wondered if Christmas had come again with lines nearing record proportions. Somewhere in those aisles something hit me.

My bliss turned to bitterness, my height of glory to the depths of frustration. I was previously enjoying my excursion alone, and now I wanted nothing more than to be at home – done with shopping, done with people, done with everything.

Yes, Wal-Mart is not my happy place. I should’ve known this from previous experience. This always happens to me when I go there. No matter what mood I’m in upon entering, it has always been downgraded significantly upon my departure. Why is that? Where is that little yellow smiley guy? And what is the benefit of low prices, if it comes at the expense of my sanity? Just wondering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

I like this blog spot because I can so relate to what you write!

As I picture you in that setting it makes me laugh inside . . . because I have been there (both with you and by myself) and I know exactly what you're saying. Only thing worse is when people are speaking another language and closing in!!

Isn't it these seemingly insignificant experiences that make up most of life?! And why is it that innocent fun can be shattered so quickly by the attitude of someone else that enters our element?

Scrambled Dregs said...

Ha. I'm pretty sure Wally won't be linking to this post.

I have to agree. But I tend to hate shopping overall. I know this makes me anti-female in many ways, but shopping either tempts me, tortures me, or frustrates me.