Friday, April 27, 2007

Multiple Choice

31 multiple choice questions.

The answer sheet lays before me cold and lifeless, lined with rows of empty ovals. I pick up my number 2 pencil, hoping I studied enough the night before to pull off a decent grade. Question number one. Is it A, B, C, or D?

In an education system that is evolving quickly, using mostly online tests and grading, my Developmental Psychology class has recently brought back the art of oval-filling and the scent of fresh pencil lead. I have now completed 7-8 exams in this class. There’s still more to come – one this Tuesday and Finals the following week. More studying, more questions, more oval-filling.

Is this the way life works? A multiple choice system?

What jeans should I wear today?
A. the ones I wore yesterday
B. the ones in the dryer, still slightly damp
C. the ones I struggle to button
D. the ones that I haven’t worn in 3 months

What career should I pursue?
A. just follow your parents; do what they did
B. pick something that impassions you
C. just keep doing what you’re doing
D. doesn’t matter; just make money

What should I do in this situation?
A. What would Jesus do?
B. What would feel good?
C. What would be the easiest?
D. What would snag the most attention?

Which oval have I filled the most of? Is it about time for a C again? Whoa, I’ve answered 25 questions so far, and there has only been one B… Does that mean I have something wrong? Surely there should be more Bs.

Is life like that? In a time of decision, I analyze the choices, hope I’ve studied enough, and then mark my selection. After I complete the series, I walk the test to the Teacher. But the questions have not ceased. There will be another test soon. More studying, more questions, more oval-filling. Today may require a 10 question multiple choice test. Tomorrow may be twice as long or half as short.

It’s like one of those “Choose Your Own Adventure” books I used to read as a child. You make choices along the way. At the end of Chapter Six, you can either follow Mr. Henderson to the hardware store (go to page 79) or you can run from Mr. Henderson as fast as you can (go to page 64). Your choice shapes the rest of the story. Your choice may end the story quickly…or drag it out longer. Your choice may bring about good consequences… or bad ones. It may lead where you want it to… or it could end up where you never intended to go. I remember quickly peeking at each selection and seeing if it suited my fancy before making my final pick. I remember reverting back to the opposite one if my choice didn’t pan out the way I thought it would. Choose your own adventure - this is the way of life, the way of free will, the way of testing. It’s not easy, not ideal, not concrete. But I pick up my freshly sharpened #2 and do the best I can.

What will I do with my money? With whom will I spend my time? How will I treat the unlovely? Where will I feast my eyes?

2 comments:

Scrambled Dregs said...

You always manage to convict me. Or at least make me think. Which is pretty much the same thing : )

Anonymous said...

YOU SHOULD WEAR THE JEANS THAT YOU WORE YESTERDAY.