All positions were unmanned, however, when a familiar sound droned in the kitchen. Dad was in there! We all jumped up and raced to the next room, pigtails bouncing. Ahh… a buttery smell was already filling the air as we trampled into the middle of the room, coming to an abrupt halt. The machine itself even smelled… getting warmer and warmer. Soon it would start. One little crackle. Pop. And another… pop! And another… pop! And another, and another, and another! We jumped up and down vigorously in an attempt to match the rhythm of the machine. We called it “The Popcorn Dance” and we did it with gusto.
It was Sunday Night… Movie Night at the Herbranson’s. The main feature was always the popcorn, poured into one large bucket-size bowl, salted, carried into the living room, and then dispersed into smaller, individual bowls. Hence the purpose of the sheet. As girls, we thought it was a “magic carpet,” a special place to sit. Our parents had ulterior motives, however - a more practical purpose for its placement. The sheet protected the living room carpet from salty fingers and tipped over bowls. The sheet kept the couch free for the two of them to snuggle. The sheet kept all three girls in plain eyesight during the movie. Tricky, huh?

As I look back, the movie I remember watching the most was my mom’s all-time favorite, Curly Sue. The little brown-eyed, bouncy-haired girl’s appearance is not unlike my mom’s when she was younger. And her character steals your heart, just as my mom would if you were to meet her. Kathy Sue is her name. And though I’ve never seen her stand atop of a mattress and belt out the National Anthem, her heart beams in the same way - with the same charisma, with the same passion. And though she cannot shuffle cards with the skill of Curly Sue (few can), she could awe you with the tenderness of her heart, with the depth of her concern, and with the lengths of her love. She lives well, loves hard, and laughs a lot. All of that – with a few Kleenex’s shoved in between (she sure needed one during Curly Sue)! I love her a lot, and sometimes yearn for our Sunday Night movie features. I’d even be willing to sit on the “magic carpet” so she and dad could cuddle. “Hubba! Hubba!”
Read more about my Mom coming up Sunday, May 13… Mother’s Day.

1 comment:
Nice. Isn't it funny how our memories can seem so special when they are formed from someone's else's attempt at retaining sanity.
I have those fond memories of car trips. I think they must have been grueling for my parents. For me, magical.
And what nice things you said about your mom. And I'm pretty sure they aren't nostalgia-twisted. She's got a heart of gold.
Post a Comment