Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cliff and Jay

On the way to work this morning a For Sale sign caught my eye. Not because I’m in the market for a new home, not even because I admired the home that was listed. It was because of the name plastered across the bottom in bold letters. It was one I’d seen many times throughout the city. Countless other signs bear the same familiar surname. But something was different today. The first name didn’t match. Instead of Jay, it read Cliff. Who’s Cliff? Jay’s father? Jay’s son? Jay’s brother? Surely they are related.

Why do children often follow in their parent’s footsteps? Dentist’s kids grow up to become dentists. Doctor’s children go into medicine. Teachers give birth to more teachers and realtors produce more realtors. It seems like children either do what their parents do, or they go the extreme opposite, and pick something completely different, something that will upset the family.

I’ve always pitied the followers, assuming they followed out of convenience and familiarity. I hated that they didn’t seek to find their own separate way in life, in careers, in schooling. They did what they knew instead of exploring what they didn’t.

But today, as I contemplated Cliff and Jay, my attitude flip-flopped, a connection was made, and I grew envious of their mirrored lives.

Within seconds, I was reminded of my Father’s plea for me to follow Him, for me to become like Him, for me to continue His work.

I cringed. Have I been the rebellious child, the one that stomps away seeking to prove separateness from the family? Have I even responded at all? Or am I just wandering aimlessly, spending all my time contemplating the call -, thinking about it and talking about it but not acting on it in any way? Am I like Him? Could our names be mentioned side by side and a connection made?

His words are clear in my head, “Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

A fisherman? A retriever of souls? How do I do this?

If I’m His child, the concept is simple. I do what is familiar. I repeat what I’ve seen in Him. I listen to the wisdom He imparts.

My reflection of Him is not a loss of self, but rather the finding of who I was truly meant to be. His daughter. His follower. His Bride. Outside of His call, I remain discontent, searching, and unconnected. I may find a life, but I will not find true life. I may find a job, but I will not have a purpose. I may discover wealth, but I will not be rich.

When a child follows in the footsteps of their father, they choose it because it is good. They’ve tasted and they’ve seen. They’ve watched and they’ve learned. They’ve examined and they’ve decided. What my Father does is worthwhile. What my Father does is necessary. What my Father does is holy. If I follow, I do it out of admiration not ignorance. I do it because I’ve found it to be not only His desire, but mine too.

Thanks, Cliff and Jay. You sold me.