Wearing pink princess panties in place of big bulky diapers has triggered a new spirit of freedom in my 2 year old niece Katelynn. Going to the bathroom is not only a monumental occasion for her; it’s also a game. And I was a player this past Sunday… or rather, an opponent.Towards the end of our meal at a local restaurant, Kate announced that she had to go potty. Her parents and I questioned the seriousness of her request, knowing that the excursion may have been prompted more by excitement than necessity.
Eventually, we caved preferring a wasted trip to messy pants.
Kate insisted that Aunt Kristi be the one to accompany her so I set down my fork, rose to my feet, and carried the cutie to the door marked with a dress.
On the other side was a fairly typical setup – two stalls and two sinks. I set Kate down in the larger of the two stalls. “Okay,” I said. “Do your thing.”
She approached the throne – a white one with a black lid. Her blue eyes examined it keenly as I knelt to assist with her shorts. “I want the other one,” she announced, slipping behind me around the corner into the second stall.
I followed.
“Okay,” I said a little perplexed but not concerned. I began kneeling again, but noticed Kate now checking out the new pot, this one with a white lid. She stuck her hand on the edge of the seat, and I cringed. “Kate…” I said, reaching for her arm.
“I want the black one,” she interrupted darting back towards our original stall. I returned behind her and picked her up.
I was not about to allow another unnecessary switcheroo, so I explained the rules, “This is not a game, Kate. We pick a pot, and we go.”
I placed her atop her preferred black perch and suggested that she hurry. After a few unsuccessful minutes of her “trying” while I was “hiding,” I aborted the mission and carried her to the faucet to clean her hands.
I tested the water in faucet number one, adjusting it to a suitable temperature. I held her hands underneath, and she quickly pulled them back. “I want the other one,” she said pointing to the second sink.
I sighed and took her there, again reminding her to hurry. After soaping, scrubbing, and rinsing, I turned the faucet off and moved toward the paper towels.
Kate was not ready to be done.
Needless to say, I left the bathroom with a squirming 2 year old in my arms who was repeatedly shouting, “No! No! No!” until we carried her to the car.
Why did she examine the toilets? Why did she push my buttons? And in life, do I do the same?
Why is it that we always want what we don’t have, and when we lose the things that we do have, we end up wanting them back? The grass is always greener on the other side. If we’re on the black pot, we want the white one. If we’re on the white pot, we want the black one. Why can’t we just pick a pot and go?
Recently I’ve spoken with several people who have shared my desire to return to childhood – a simple life with no demands, no responsibility, and less pain.
But what if we could go back to the other side - to the black pot, to the greener grass, to being a kid? Would we be happy? Would we recognize our freedom, or would we be unaware? Would we appreciate it, or would we ache for adulthood?
What is needed is not a life adjustment but an attitude adjustment… an upward turn.
When we move forward in life, when we make choices, and even when things happen outside of our control, we must choose to fix our eyes on what we have and the God who gave it to us, not on the road behind. Not on the options we chose to forsake. Not on the others who have lived differently. Let’s not stand on the edge, ready to run, gandering at the activity on the other side. Let’s enjoy our yard, our stall, our lot in life. Let’s celebrate it. Surrender it. Live in it.
The grass is greener when I recognize it as such. The grass is greener when I stop gazing around. The grass is greener when I know the truth.
“Lord, You have assigned me my portion and my cup; You have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.” Psalms 16:5-6

1 comment:
Ha. My mom always thought it'd be nice if each day we woke up in a different season of life. Today, the pre-teen might wake up a cute newborn. I could maybe wake up in my twenties...and so on. She thought that maybe the painful rough spots would be less intense that way. That we could get more enjoyment out of life. Of course I don't think there are many moments I'd want to go back and revisit.
But nice theory, anyway.
Post a Comment