Friday, August 31, 2007

Not Lucky

Throughout the workday yesterday, I kept thinking I’m so lucky. Over and over in my mind the words repeated themselves. Until I realized I was wrong.

Let me back up a little.

David gave me a birthday card Wednesday, and its cover contained words written by Max Lucado:

“Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, ‘Do you like it? I did it just for you.’”

God’s wonders do that for us. They catch our eye and call us to stop. We turn to glance and our attention is drawn – drawn away from our lives and into His love. The moment suspends, and we find ourselves staring. We need to stare. And we want to stay.

Truth is gleaned in moments like this. Blessing is evident. And hope is found. Whether the experience is only a few seconds long or several hours in duration, whether it’s a scene we pass by while driving, or a landscape we gaze upon for hours. We step away changed… assured… blessed.

David did this for me this week.

As I look back upon Wednesday – a day filled with plans and surprises that he crafted out of a pure desire to bless my heart - I can picture him kneeling on the floor, pulling everything out of the refrigerator, and scrubbing it clean. I can picture him making phone calls inviting guests to attend, buying flowers, shopping for groceries, mowing the lawn, cleaning my house, making the beds, and choosing perfect presents. I can see him hunched over greeting cards, penning heartfelt words that would only hours later spread a smile across my face and send assurance deep into my heart. I can picture him working hard and loving loud.

And I was the recipient. This stopped me in my tracks. At one moment, I stood in a living room surrounded by all those that I love, and I stared in wonder, overwhelmed by the beauty brought to my life by each person circled around me. Not everyone was paying attention. Small conversations were going on amongst the guests. Kids were playing. Adults were chatting. And David stood beside me. Our eyes met, and I felt like he was saying, “Do you like it? I did it just for you.”

That’s why I’m not lucky. Instead, I’m loved. You see, there’s quite a difference between the two. With luck, the deciding factor is chance. With love, it is choice. Someone is behind it, selecting it, offering it as a gift. Just like David did on my birthday. And just like God has done by placing David in my life. “Do you like it? I did it just for you.” Just like God has done by surrounding me with family and friends. Just like God has done by offering me grace instead of judgment. Just like He has done by extending His strong hand to pull me out of my slimy pit. Just like He has done by showing me mercy anew each morning. No, I’m not lucky; I’m loved.

And I’m thankful.

No comments: