Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Structurally Deficient

David and I had a "near-bridge experience" this past week. On Wednesday, August 1, after contemplating a trip to Minneapolis for several days, we decided to cement our plans, pack our bags, and set out on the open road. David pulled up the worldwide web to check hotels, visit Mapquest, and review the schedule for the Minnesota Twins (they were to play the Kansas City Royals that night at 7:10, plenty of time for us to make it to the Metrodome). With plans falling into place, I slipped out of the room and pulled out my suitcase while David went back to reserve the hotel. Before he did, however, he decided to check Denver for prices, and at the last minute we re-routed our trip to the Rocky Mountain state.

After 5 hours on 80 West, we heard the terrible news. The 35W bridge near the Metrodome collapsed. Fatalities and missing persons were being calculated, rescue ops were underway, chaos had struck. And we missed it. At 6:08 P.M., around the time we would have been nearing the stadium, the bridge had failed, and instead of being in the midst of tragedy, we were traveling safely in the other direction.

But our hearts were there. Our conversation now centered on the crisis. Our thoughts wandered. Our ears peeled for more news, more details, and some reason why.

It was soon released that “the bridge was deemed ‘structurally deficient’ by the federal government as far back as 1990.” Inspections over the years had shown findings of rust-eaten steel beams, missing bolts, and cracks in the welding that held load-bearing parts together.

Investigative reporter, Bill Dedman, wrote that though the bridge met the minimum tolerable limits to be left in place in 2005, its “structurally deficient” rating is only one step above the rating of “basically intolerable.” To be structurally deficient means that a bridge received “a rating of ‘poor’ or worse on any of its three main components: deck, superstructure, and substructure… The Minneapolis bridge’s deck, or driving surface, was rated in ‘fair condition.’ The superstructure was in ‘poor condition,’ and the substructure was in ‘satisfactory condition.’”

Taking these results into consideration, State Bridge Engineer, Dan Dorgan, said he made the final decision to “monitor the bridge’s weakness through inspections but not take more drastic measures.”

A “poor” ranking, a “wait and see” mentality, and normal wear and tear on a “structurally deficient” bridge led to an unexpected tragedy that claimed lives, broke hearts, and wounded many. A collapse occurred. A bridge failed. And I got to thinking.

Am I “structurally deficient”? If left in place, with no changes made, will I eventually collapse? Is my foundation solid, or is it in “poor condition,” meeting only the minimum tolerable limits for living?

Maybe it’s time for an inspection.

Matthew 7:24-27 (NIV) says, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

It fell with a great crash. The house – the man, his life, his heart – crumbled to the ground. To collapse means “to fall down due to structural weakness; to fail abruptly.” If I’m not hearing God’s Word and putting it into practice, I am in “poor condition.” I am structurally deficient, incredibly weak.

When I have a relationship with Him, it’s that simple. The checklist is short.

Am I hearing His Word?
Am I obeying what it says?

This is the foundation I walk upon - His grace, His life, His truth, written in letter form, guiding the steps of my life.

If I ignore it - if I develop cracks, rust, and missing bolts that I choose not to repair - then devastation is inevitable.

"Woe to the obstinate children," declares the Lord,
"to those who carry out plans that are not mine,
forming an alliance, but not by my Spirit, heaping sin upon sin;
These are rebellious people, deceitful children,
children unwilling to listen to the Lord's instruction.
Therefore, this is what the Holy One of Israel says:
"Because you have rejected this message, relied on oppression
and depended on deceit, this sin will become for you like a high
wall, cracked and bulging, that collapses suddenly, in an instant.”
(Isaiah 30:1, 9, 12-13 NIV)

Ignoring problems is risky. Ignoring God is riskier yet. If I neglect His Word, His heart, our relationship, then I’m bound for disillusionment, I’m paving the way for abrupt failure, I’m setting the stage for a great crash. I’m structurally deficient, and my time is ticking.


What will I do to fix it?


Articles used:
Dedman, Bill. “Bridge was Rated Among Nation’s Worst.” MSNBC. 3 August 2007. 6 August 2007. www.msnbc.com.
Smith, Vicki. Riechmann, Deb. CBS News. 4 August 2007. 7 August 2007. www.cbsnews.com.

No comments: